|Population density (sq mi)
|Married (15yrs & older)
|Families w/ Kids under 18
Austin, TX has a population of 907,779 and is the 11th largest city in the United States. The population density is 2,830 per sq mi, which is 2819% higher than the Texas average and 3023% higher than the national average. The median age in Austin is 32, which is approximately 5% lower than the Texas average of 34. In Austin, 44% of the population over 15 years of age are married, 68% speak English and 24% speak Spanish. 53% of Austin residents were born in Texas, 27% were born out of state, 2% were born outside of the United States and 18% were foreign born.
- The average age is 5% lower than Texas
- 86% of the population is Caucasian
- 56% of the population is African American
- 82% of the population is Asian
Cost of Living
|Cost of living index
|Goods & Services index
|Health care index
- The cost of living in Austin is 18% higher than the Texas average.
- The cost of living in Austin is 7% higher than the national average.
- The cost of housing in Austin is 33% higher than the national average.
In the event that the cost of living data was unavailable for this city, estimates based upon nearby cities were used. Each cost of living index is based on a national average of 100. If the amount is below 100, it is lower than the national average. If the amount is above 100, it is higher than the national average.
- Whole Foods Market
- MT Supermarket
- Thom’s Market – Barton Springs
- The Bee Grocery
- Royal Blue Grocery
- Hong Kong Supermarket
- Royal Blue Grocery
- Central Market
- Trader Joe’s
- HEB Plus!
- Asahi Imports
- Wheatsville Food Co-op
- H Mart Austin
- Farm to Market Grocery
- Fresh Plus Grocery
- Natural Grocers
- City of Austin Public Utility Department
- City of Austin Transportation Department
- Trash service/garbage Collection Company
- Austin Resource Recovery
- Austin Structured Cabling
- Spectrum Cable TV and Internet
- DCOMM Austin Headquarters
- AT&T Internet
- DirecTV Services
- Grande Communications
- Entropic Communications
- All Digital Computers & Wireless
- Hotel High Definition
- Convergence Cabling
- Google Fiber Space
- Same Day WiMax
- Austin Telephone Company
- XO Communications
- Greater Austin Area Telecommunications Network
- American Tower Communications
- Polycom Inc
- LOGIX Communications
- Better Voice
- Folkerson Communications LTD
Primary & Secondary
Austin is comprised of 29 public school districts, 17 charter schools and 69 private schools. Virtually, the Austin Independent School District serves the city. The district also includes respected schools such as the magnet Liberal Arts and Science Academy High School of Austin Texas or LASA. The school is known to have consistent high test scores in the top thirty schools in the country. The Ann Richards School for Young Leaders is another notable school in the city. Other school districts that serve the city are: Round Rock, Pflugerville, Leander, Manor, Del Valle, Lake Travis, Hayes and Eanes Independent School Districts.
Austin is home to the prestigious University of Texas at Austin, the flagship school of the University of Texas System. Other notable institutions are: Concordia University, St. Edward’s University, Huston-Tillotson University, Austin Community College and the Seminary of the Southwest. The headquarters of the University of Texas System along with the Texas State University System is in downtown Austin.
Places of Worship
Here are the names of some of the many churches located within the city:
- Abiding Love Lutheran Church
- Austin Grace Nazarene Church
- Baptist Temple
- Beautiful Savior Lutheran Church
- Calvary South Austin
- Cameron Road Church of Christ
- Decker United Methodist Church
- Door of Hope Church
- East Side Baptist Church
- Ebenezer Baptist Church
- Fairview Church of Christ
- Faith United Methodist Church
The biggest employers in the city are:
- Austin Independent School District
- The City of Austin
- Dell Computers,
- US Federal Government
- NXP Semiconductors
- David’s Healthcare Partnership
- Seton Family Hospitals
- State of Texas
- Texas State University
- University of Texas at Austin
Restaurants & Nightlife
Franklin Barbecue – Is probably the most popular barbecue restaurant in the city and is regularly sold out of briskets everyday since the beginning.
Eddie V’s Prime Seafood — Is considered to be the number one restaurant in all of the city. They serve the best Chilean sea bass and the crab rice is a definite must try. The ambience and the service are top notch. They serve excellent oysters, spicy Hamachi appetizer, tuna tartar and the NY strip.
Truluck’s Seafood Steak and Crabhouse – They serve some of the best shrimp cocktails in the city. This meal consists of 5 large shrimp on ice and dry ice for added effect and comes with an amazing cocktail sauce. The bone in filet is also amazing and is served very nicely. They serve an amazing bread that consists of a whole loaf of 5 different separate smaller portions that serves as a nice complement to the steak.
Cypress Grill – The restaurant serves some of the best fried catfish, fried okra and bread pudding in the city. It features an amazing Cajun menu. Do try a cup of seafood gumbo and a cup of jambalaya to make a seemingly light meal taste so great.
Fun Things to Do in Austin
- Henry Museum – hosts the yearly O. Henry Pun Off, a pun contest where the successful participants exhibit wit similar to the style of author William Sydney Porter.
Annual Events in the city include:
- Eeyore’s Birthday Party
- Austin Gay Pride in August
- Austin Reggae Festival in April
- Kite Festival
- Texas Craft Brewers Festival in September
- Art City Austin in April
- East Austin Studio Tour in November
- Carnaval Brasiliero in February
- Sixth Street annual festivals such as the Pecan Street Festival and Halloween Night
- Three day Austin City Limits Music Festival in Ziker Park
- SXSW Film Festival
- Austin Fil Festival
Museums in Austin include:
- Texas Memorial Museum
- George Washington Carver Museum and Cultural Center
- The Blanton Museum of Art
- Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum
- Contemporary Austin
- Elisabet Ney Museum
Austin truly is a great place to live. If you’d like to talk to us about building your custom home here in Austin, Texas give us a call. We can’t wait to meet you.